Since at least the 3rd century BC, a village stood on this site. A walled village was built up during the 6th and 7th centuries. During the Middle Ages and Renaissance, it was an important stopping point for Catholic pilgrims on their way to the Vatican. It was a source for trade in saffron. The city flourished until 1348 when the Black Death killed about half its population. It is a UNESCO world heritage site.