The cathedral was designed and completed between 1215 and 1263 on the site of an earlier structure. The façade was not completed for at least another century. The exterior and interior are constructed of white and greenish-black marble in alternating stripes. The bronze central door was commissioned in 1946. An addition was planned in 1339 but construction was halted due to the Black Death in 1348.